Saturday, October 24, 2009

Changi Beach Midweek


Mid this week I had a chance to visit a part of Changi that I've not been before. I could have passed this stretch of shore many times but don't know why I never noticed the exposed flat when the tides are low.

First critter: Painted Star

Not too sure but I think its a young Toadfish. Only slightly larger than half my thumb.

And here is a larger one that I found after the sunset. I saw a bright red reflection from the light of my torch and I just stared for a long time trying to figure out what the red colour was. It was only when the fish moved that I realised that they were they eyes of the fish.

Here, about 40 or more drills(cannot tell what drills they are) clustered together on a large boulder laying eggs n maybe mating too. The yellow colour are egg cases. There is alot more not visible in the picture because they are covered under the snails.

Cake Star. Brightly Orange coloured one :) It was just sitting nicely on a small rock, looking all ready for a photoshoot.

the underside

The shore that day seemed to be filled with lots of red seaweeds. Here a pic of what the shore looked like where the seagrasses were.

One thing about this shore that I found suprising was the large number of tube anemones. Here's 2 pics of them.

Peacock Anemone Phoronid Worm. I have always known they are found near to peacock anemones but it is my first time seeing them.

A Haddon's Carpet Anemone.
I tried to look for any anemone shrimps but none.

An abandoned trap

A thorny cucumber. Saw this too ealier part of the week on another shore at changi.

And this, I am sure it is a Giant Reef Worm in there. Unfortunately, it would not make an appearance for my camera even when I waited for more than 15 mins.

Other critters that I saw were brittlestars, acorn worms, mantis shrimp, very tiny anemone on ovalis leaf blade, peanut worm.




No comments:

Post a Comment