Monday, October 19, 2009

Changi Beach

..Finally.. a post for Changi..
First time I visited this shore was about 2 years ago.. but since the blog just started, this is a first post for changi here. The tide today was not as low as I expected so I couldn't go very far out.
First critter. Hermit. This beach is so filled with hermits. From sizes larger than my fist to some so small its hard to see if we're standing upright looking down.
A conch, there were plenty today. Look at those eyes :)

A warty sea cucumber. I see them everytime I visit this shore.

And this one is so small, it's almost the same size with the ovalis leaf next to it!



A shrimp


My suprising find for the day. A LARGE nobel volute. This is the biggest I have seen on this shore. Almost the size of my foot. After a lil bit of paparazzi-ing.. I put it back into deeper water cos there were a few poacher looking men lurking ard with pails and nets today.






I thought luck was on my side today. So when I made out the shape of a melo shell in the murky waters, I was so happy! BUT, it's only the shell today. I have seen live melo melo on this shore before many times, but none of the sizes came close to this shell.



Another common name of this marine snail is "Bailer Snail". Simple, just look at how large it is and how nicely it fits into the hands and how much volume of water it can take.. Every boatman would probably love one before the days of PLASTIC.


Almost time to leave and as I began my way out, I saw this downside up knobbly. First time I have seen a knobbly on this shore!! Anyway, it looked sad. I turn it back and sent it back into deeper waters. Long Live Starry King :)



Just about to exit the beach, saw this ghost crab just sitting there. SIT STILL. I am usually more afraid of this crab than it is afraid of me because it can move soo quickly across the sand, in the most unpredictible fashion. Today, Ghosty was being a really good crab. Even up for a close up :)



A few more steps, a dead horseshoe carb. I used to see them here alive. Nowadays, I see more dead ones.


This one, hmm... I think.. it was a mud skipper. Does mud skipper swim in the open sea? It just sudddenly skipped from the beach right into the sea and started swimming with only the eyes surfaced. After a while, it went out of sight.

And Yeap. It was time to leave. Monday. 19th October 2009. 6:55pm
*damn you sandflies*


*Since I am not familiar with the correct names of the critters that I see, I will begin with simple commom names and brush up along the way *

1 comment:

  1. Big knobbly at Changi!? That is probably the first sighting! All our previous sightings are small ones. :)

    ReplyDelete